Mision El Faro

Mision El Faro

Saturday, April 23, 2011

One Step at a Time...

My name is Joli (actually it's Jill, but the people here have a hard time pronouncing my name, so I've learned to tell people that my name is Joli) and I am currently serving at a dental clinic in a mission in a rural area of Guatemala. I have no idea where I'll be in five years. I'm taking life one step at a time. All I know is that, for now, for a year, I'm to serve at this mission. But, all of that could change tomorrow. God's plan for our lives is unique and specific. And I really like the free-flowing adventure of God's plan more than any plan I could ever have thought for my life.

Living in Guatemala has been a wonderful learning experience. I've met missionaries who are fun, kind, and loving, and other missionaries that are rude, arrogant, and think they're "all that and a bag of chips". (What's that all about???) I've met people that seem to think I am rude or arrogant because I have life threatening food allergies and can't/won't eat food that will comprise my health. Even just "a little bit". I've been to churches where a majority of the congregation are missionaries yet nobody "has time" or wants to make the time to get together to pray for the Lord's mission field. I myself have consistently failed to get up early in the morning to spend time with the Lord, to give Him my first fruits. To give Him my first fruits because I want to, not because it's a requirement. And I've seen missions that are lacking any type of service or get together for adults on Sunday. I've seen funded missionaries and poor missionaries and the unspoken competition that can occur between the two. I, myself, have had moments of anxiety because of funds needed for medicine, calcium citrate pills, or $50-ish American dollars needed just to pick up a care package that I can't afford to pick up. Or anxiety because I hadn't sold my car before leaving the states, or various other reasons which I have failed to put my trust in the Lord.

As you can see, missionaries are not the Rock Stars of Christ's church that most people back home seem to think. We are no different than anyone else and feel uncomfortable when people view us this way because we know that's not the truth. We just live in a different country. We are all called to be missionaries. You and I. Each and every one of us. Wherever we eat, sleep, and breath - God has called each and every one of us. To love unconditionally. To love IRRATIONALLY. To love sacrificially. Each and every day of our lives.

So, with all this in mind, how do we go about being ambassadors for Christ? Look to Christ and let the Bible, God, Christ Jesus, and the Holy Spirit be our guide. Other than that, I don't know. I'm just taking it one step at a time, one day at a time as the Lord leads. We are all human and need to set our focus on the supernatural guidance, strength, and love of our Creator.

While you go about your everyday life remember this:

As you put one foot in front of the other you are entering the mission field. Go and make a difference, God will be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment